View Single Post
Old 04-27-2011, 09:17 AM   #4
Jousway
FFR Player

Default Re: So let's talk about QED stepfiles. (Let's talk about StepMania actually.)

I'm to lazy to write shit I already said before so I'ma just post stuff from irc from a month ago or so

Quote:
[03:57] <%Orange-kun> I found this post on a blog and its really bashing about how bad OD files are hahah
[03:57] <Hameru> link
[03:58] <%Orange-kun> http://cpu13.rustedlogic.net/blog/?p=70
[03:58] <%Orange-kun> http://cpu13.rustedlogic.net/blog/?p=16 << one about odmix
[03:59] <Hameru> "To make up for you wasting your time, play my simfiles. They are much better."
[03:59] <Hameru> "To make up for you wasting your time, play my simfiles. They are much better."
[03:59] <Hameru> nice ****ing ego
[03:59] <Hameru> I already hate this ****** already
[03:59] <~Ziergdsx18> lol
[04:00] <Hameru> "All are made for pad, cut and rendered as OGG files for easy play on r21 machines (will need to be patched if longer), and remain uncensored so don't play where people are easily offended I guess."
[04:00] <Hameru> there's an inconsistency
[04:00] <Hameru> he's comparing pad files with keyboard
[04:00] <Hameru> he steps pad but he's criticizing keyboard files
[04:00] <Hameru> when he doesn't stepf ro keyboard
[04:00] <Hameru> I ****ing hate when people do this
[04:03] <Hameru> another inconsistency
[04:04] <Hameru> he's criticizing anime packs when he himself doesn't like anime in the first place
[04:06] <zolaric> conclusion this guy's a douche
[04:06] <~Ziergdsx18> hyprocrites
[04:06] <~Ziergdsx18>
[04:06] <~Ziergdsx18> Jk
[04:07] <zolaric> they were my first packs
[04:07] <zolaric> still remember some files lol
[04:09] <Hameru> "Given that I don’t care about keyboard files AT ALL, I went with the pad pack."
[04:10] <Hameru> "Given that I don’t care about keyboard files AT ALL"
[04:10] <Hameru> "Given that I don’t care about keyboard files AT ALL"
[04:10] <Hameru> then why in the **** are you reviewing a keyboard ****ing mix
[04:10] <Hameru> asdlojkhaskjdhasd
[04:10] <Hameru> okay I'm pissed
[04:10] <Hameru> ragequit
[04:12] <%Orange-kun> there are a load of blogs like this out there talking about how bad od file's are, just look for reviews and you will find them
[04:12] <Hameru> I'm not going to bother because they will all be worthless complaints for the wrong reasons
[04:14] <%Orange-kun> what I always found most interesting is that a load of japanese steppers think OD files are crap, what I have seen with OD files is that people that have never stepped before really like them, while people that have stepped before dont
[04:15] <Hameru> because file perspective changes once you actually pick up and learn how to step a song
[04:15] <Hameru> if you just play, you just play and judge based on fun factor alone
[04:15] <%Orange-kun> yeah thats pretty much the issue
[04:16] <Hameru> most complaints go towards file difficulty. the mentality of "if the file's too hard, it's a bad file"
[04:16] <Hameru> e.g. hand usage complaints for OD keyboard mixes
[04:16] <%Orange-kun> like in the past I enjoyed OD files way more than I do now, when I play files made by people from xoon for example I get the way you step, but these days when I look at OD files I just dont see the patern
[04:16] <%Orange-kun> they step*
[04:17] <Hameru> simfile making has shifted towards a more structured spectrum influenced by elitism
[04:17] <Hameru> back in the day, that did not exist
[04:17] <Hameru> you poop a file and play it
[04:18] <%Orange-kun> another problem is the playing style like OD makes kb files for spread, and for other playing styles the way the files are made can be hard to play and iritating in some cases
[04:18] <Hameru> exactly an example of complaints for the wrong reasons
[04:20] <%Orange-kun> but the main problem is that there is no right or wrong way to make a file, like there is no shuch thing as a correct file, people step files the way they see the files, their vision, they get the vision from playing files from other people, and I myself have played quite some japanese files made by people from japan and the way its made is so diffrent for the english based stepmania comunity, which results in these problems
[04:20] <Hameru> pretty much the inconsistency of things
[04:21] <%Orange-kun> but the problem with people is that they see their way of stepping correct which will result in conflict, like I have seen these japanese people talking about english based files being so wrong, while they are actually not wrong, but people are so thickheaded that they see their way of stepping the right way, a great example of this problem is QED
[04:22] <Hameru> another factor is ego, like that ****ing guy from that blog
[04:23] <Hameru> honestly I just say **** it all
[04:23] <Hameru> step and play
[04:24] <%Orange-kun> its starts with the basics of the humman mind, every humman has his own logic, in other words, every person sees things their own way, again QED is a great example, he wants to make great stepmania files and stop bad files so he makes them 100% correct to his logic, and thats why we have these problems, because acording to his logic its fine, but to OD or Xoon logic its wrong
[04:25] <zolaric> I say if a file makes me keep coming back to play it
[04:25] <zolaric> It's good
[04:25] <%Orange-kun> yeah
[04:25] <%Orange-kun> but if you dont like it, it can still be good
[04:25] <%Orange-kun> its just you see the file the same way as the person that made the file
[04:25] <zolaric> but being good is in itself subjective
[04:25] <%Orange-kun> so you can both enjoy it
[04:26] <Hameru> jewsway human is spelt with one m
[04:26] <zolaric> just because I don't like a file doesn't mean someone else won't find it good
[04:26] <%Orange-kun> like zolaric if you see a dump file with a load of jacks and everything, most people in OD and KBO wont enjoy it right
[04:27] <zolaric> yeah
[04:27] <%Wineandbread> humman
[04:27] <Hameru> actually on the contrary jewsway
[04:27] <%Wineandbread> hey look a debate about the difference between fun files and technically correct files
[04:27] <%Wineandbread> :<
[04:27] <Hameru> times have changed and all people play now are dumpfiles
[04:28] <Hameru> but apparently there's some kind of standard that separates "good" and "bad" dumps which I don't ****ing understand at all and makes absolutely no sense
[04:28] <%Orange-kun> like KBO/FFR made the term dump, thats how we define these files, to other people they arnt dumps, to them the term doesnt exist, I have played files from diffrent people trying to see how they play, which is quite interesting to look at tbh
[04:29] <%Orange-kun> thats because dumps is changed by people all the time, at least thats what I see
[04:29] <%Orange-kun> to some dumps are oversteped files, to other they are just not properly stepped and just arrows everywere
[04:30] <%Orange-kun> most terms we use for stepmania files are made in this comunity, it might be the same game we play as other people but they have a totaly diffrent way of stepping, its like the diffrence between a original japanese house and an original english house, they both have a long history which made them to what they are
[04:35] <%Orange-kun> I see stepping files the same way as building a house, they both have to be build so its safe but the way they look can be totaly diffrent like an western house and an asian house, but still both houses arnt builded wrong, like some westerns look at asian houses and think they are crazy and the other way around, which is the same as people talking whats the right way to step
thats all I have to say

Jousway is offline   Reply With Quote