View Single Post
Old 11-23-2010, 10:56 PM   #173
Mulie
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: New Veteran Status - Opinions?

Quote:
Originally Posted by iironiic View Post
The only thing I disapprove about your suggestion is the fact that skill shouldn't effect whether one deserves veteran status or not. But then again, it's depends how we define a veteran.
But then again, that's separating the elites from the community which is highly discouraged. So, basically eliteness shouldn't be a factor regardless of the situation.
Quote:
Originally Posted by TC_Halogen View Post
I personally think AAAs/FCs shouldn't matter for the veteran status - grand total is a better indication of being active and having a point value given per x points doesn't discriminate by skill, which is fantastic.
Even I'm almost tempted to agree. However, after a little thought, I'm not convinced adding a skill factor would have the effect you two suggest.

Most people play the game repeatedly, gathering GTS and slowly improving their skill. Since that Vet threshold's scaled fairly low at a requirement of 4,500 points (with 5 points per AAA, 1 per FC), making the FCs they earn worth something as well as the few AAAs they can muster, most players would reach Vet as a function of natural game progression long before filling even a third of the skill point cap; simply because they'd simultaneously be earning points from GTS and time (and if they're really into the community, posts). This should become pretty evident if you look at all those stats I listed, but with a little more credit for their AAAs and FCs (since I didn't revise them). [example]

And once one gains Vet status, one wouldn't have to concern themselves with it again.

These "veteran points" should be a hidden part of the calculation. Rather than segregating players, it would encourage game involvement, becoming another piece of underground knowledge (adding depth to the game at the root of the community), and rewarding players for their accomplishments.

There's a very low incidence of new accounts belonging to players that are already very good at FFR in relation to those of people just starting. But adding these facets would allow those experienced accounts (e.g. Dragon Shot/Velocity) to gain the Vet status they deserve without having to grind the game for GTS, and even still without negatively affecting the inexperienced.

With this system, DS could realistically earn veteran on Velocity in fewer than two months.

Last edited by Mulie; 11-23-2010 at 11:13 PM..
Mulie is offline   Reply With Quote