View Single Post
Old 12-2-2009, 03:58 AM   #4
moches
FFR Player

Default Re: Quite a few dumps

I will play every file in here and give it a review

A Hill To Die On- I liked this. It seemed spot-on technically and it was fun and simple. My only suggestion is to layer in some of the crash cymbal as triples and maybe layer some of the longer freezes as it feels a bit empty the way it is now. Fun though, good MA file.

Alternate Dimension Stage- Played Oni. Seemed a bit overlayered but fine. 32nds at this speed are pretty easy to hit so I won't mention the patterns. As usual, fun MA file from you but it got pretty repetitive, you should just have cut it somewhere but you didn't so I had to quit out sorry. Maybe Heavy will be better.

Deck the Halls- Strangely enough, this was fun as balls even though it seemed pretty outdated with the layering technique. I really enjoyed this. Tis the season.

Dragon's Final Roar- Would have been a pretty fun file if you hadn't looped it. Liked the jacks in this.

Drive Ignition- Oh boy...maybe it's just the global offset, but most of your files are kind of offsync for me, particularly on this one. After using Auto Adjust, I tried this again. Kind of a repetitive file; it doesn't quite catch all of the little quirks of the song very well. Color note solos should be fun though. I haven't played this all of the way yet.

Refuge From Reality- In a 180-degree reversal from Drive Ignition, this was awesome. Very fun and simple file. The freeze usage is good here; nothing feels empty and nothing feels overlayered, which is great. Minifreezes on guitar are a nitpick, but that's always been a personal irk of mine. A few few other things to note: 1) triple jacks in guitar solos that are inaubible can be done better, and 2) the last note of a file is the note that has the most importance because it needs to conclude the file. Really really stupid and small nitpick, but I personally would have gone with a hand with double freezes on [14] instead of a [23] jump: I was digging the ending with all of those accurate drums being stepped, but you kind of let me down there. With those fixes applied I personally find this your best new file.

Star City- Was enjoying this, but eventually felt repetitive. Some parts were nice (the beginning was the most fun for me), other parts not so much (what was that huge jumptrill that came out of nowhere.) Just my opinion here, but not everything needs to be keysounded. Also felt repetitive after a while and I had to quit out.

Under the Glass Moon- Fun. Old-school and simply made. Jacks give it a lot of scoring factor and they're not too difficult at this speed. Strangely enough, a lot of your better files come from songs other artists struggle with (read: Newgrounds.) Funny.

Clearly you haven't shown any midcareer slump. Nice work.

edit: just so you get an idea of where you're at, if I were judging a Xoon pack right now (which I am), I'd probably accept fixes of Refuge to Reality, Star City, and A Hill to Die On. The song Drive Ignition has a lot of potential with a cut. The steps as they are right now? I dunno.

Last edited by moches; 12-2-2009 at 04:00 AM..
moches is offline   Reply With Quote