View Single Post
Old 07-2-2009, 10:35 AM   #246
mhss1992
FFR Player
FFR Veteran

Default Re: IQ

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reach View Post
A commonly used tactic in arguing for the existence of God, but a bad one. Obviously something doesn't arise from the complete and utter absence of everything. There has to be some irreducibly complex portion of reality that could have given rise to the universe.
Like I said (again), those are not the only reasons why I believe in God.
Why can't this "irreducibly complex portion of reality" contain intelligence?

MrRubix says "why add another variable if what we have explains it all?"
I'm not just adding a variable, and what we have doesn't explain everything. It's not just about the complexity of everything, it's something more like: I have existed in this world for a few years. I don't know everything. The reality that I know is inside my mind, I really don't know if there's anything else beyond my mind, I don't even know if you exist. Now, this is solipsistic and probably has nothing to do with the subject, but...
If you stop for a while and try to see the world as something new, strange, ignoring every concept you have about it, it really makes you wonder how existence is possible.

Okay, that still has nothing to do with God.

There are certain things, like the qualia, which are the feelings themselves, that are not explained just by what we know about matter. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Qualia

And there are other reasons, too. Well, I'm not going to say everything, but I have reasons to believe that are not as shallow as just the complexity of the universe.

Quote:
It would be nice to think that we have a soul, an afterlife, or even a chance at reincarnation. However soothing these thoughts may be, I can't find them to be plausible. We're still physical creatures.
How can you say that something is not plausible because it has no physical proof? You are almost asuming that only the physical things we see exist. If you don't know it, you can't say that it's not plausible. There are thousands of reports of kids who remember detailed events about dead people, and many other things.

Best AAA: Frictional Nevada (Done while FFR was out, so it doesn't show in my level stats)

Resting. I might restart playing FFR seriously someday.

Last edited by mhss1992; 07-2-2009 at 10:41 AM..
mhss1992 is offline   Reply With Quote