View Single Post
Old 03-27-2009, 06:08 AM   #6
dag12
FFR Simfile Author
FFR Simfile AuthorFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to dag12
Default Re: Conflict of BPM choice?

I agree to some extent with what you are saying; however, I have to object to some things.

You stated:
Quote:
Originally Posted by zebdal the legend
Let us call back that 90 % of the players play in CMOD and that the fact that the sim goes in 200BPM or to 800 BPM has no importance, it is thus stupid to change the BPM of origin of a simfile so that it is more playable.
I'm confused about this point. Isn't the point of BPM to accurately emulate the file? If so, doesn't Cmod destroy the point of setting high/low/'accurate' BPMs, if everything is constant? And because it does make everything the same BPM, why not make it more readable, for the sake of the player, if the 'actual' BPM does not have any effect anyway?

I think that beyond representing 1/4th, 1/8th, etc, the colors of the notes have the purpose of making the stepfile more readable. Yes, a 400 BPM speedcore might be technically correct, but it also runs the risk of having every single note red and unreadable. Personally, since I play on Cmod anyway, I would prefer that the stepfile be readable rather than be technically accurate.

In addition, if you are going to play on a xmod, then a wide range of BPMs (like you said, even up to 400 BPMs) instead of around 100-250 or so, would create a slight problem. Such a big variation in BPMs would create a need for much more specific xmods rather than the usual 2x, 3x, 4x, and so on. I think standardizing the BPMs makes it more convenient for the player.

Basically, it waters down to this, I think. In a nutshell, you are arguing that the song's BPM should accurately reflect the 'actual' BPM of the song, no? However, to what extent should we reflect the 'actual' BPM, knowing that it could potentially cause inconvenience to the player?

I think it's analogous to stepfiles. You can make the stepfiles 'technically' accurate, but I think good stepfile artists should know the fine line as to when to make the patterns more friendly, etc. for the sake of the player and not just the music.

Furthermore, (this is an honest question) how can we know for sure the 'actual' BPM of a song and not just one of its multiples (100 BPM instead of 200, 400, etc.)? I understand what you are saying about guitars, that it would be insane to play at400 BPM. But how can we tell for other songs what their BPMs are? Do we classify it based off our knowledge of the general BPMs for a certain genre?
I recall that even programs such as mixmeister accidentally half the BPM (such as in sharpnel songs). However, we know to double the BPM because sharpnel songs generally fall in the 200 range. So, is there a systematic way to determine the BPM? The mixmeister program knows nothing about a genre or the artist, and simply analyzes it. And yet, sometimes it even gets the 'wrong' BPM. So, as an inexperienced stepartist myself, how can I tell the BPM? Based off of my personal judgment, or based off of what pure analysis has given me?

Last edited by dag12; 03-27-2009 at 06:22 AM..
dag12 is offline   Reply With Quote