View Single Post
Old 12-30-2008, 01:42 PM   #33
FuzenAkuma
FFR Veteran
FFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to FuzenAkuma Send a message via MSN to FuzenAkuma
Default Re: Deep Philosophical Question #1: Would you kill him?

Quote:
Originally Posted by funmonkey54 View Post
oh. My answer was in reference to the first situation.

In the bomb situation, I would like this question answered. Why can I not just shoot the man wearing the bomb? He cannot kill the people if he is dead and unable to trigger the bomb. And what is to say that killing the innocent person will ACTUALLY stop him? He could very easily turn around and trigger the bomb anyways. Killing him would, in theory, eliminate that as a possibility.
I think we should assume in this case that the bomb is a time bomb that can ONLY be stopped by the man with it, and it has around 15 seconds remaining. Since it's a hypothetical situation, we should say that the ONLY way the bomb can be stopped will be for the man to say a secret code that ONLY he knows, and the ONLY way he will do it is if you shoot an innocent person. This way, if you kill the man with the bomb, the bomb will still go off, killing the 100 people.

Whether he goes against his word or not... I guess that's for you to decide, unless somethingillremember says he won't.

Anyway, with my above assumptions including the assumptions that he won't go back on his word and I can choose who to kill, I would simply kill the oldest -looking person I could find in the 10 seconds. Sure, it may be wrong to kill the elderly, but they've already lived their lives, while younger folk may have many more years to go.
FuzenAkuma is offline   Reply With Quote