View Single Post
Old 04-22-2007, 10:40 PM   #7
Squeek
let it snow~
Retired StaffFFR Veteran

Send a message via AIM to Squeek
Default Re: Do You Like Anime?

The concept of anime is to create a world that people can relate to without having it be realistic at all. The reason characters have huge eyes it to accurately portray emotion. With small eyes, it's very hard to show all of the emotions a human face can display.

Of course, as I said before, not every show does this. Take my favorite show for example. One Piece does not use the generic huge eyes with four reflective light points or whatever. The eyes are very unique. The men just get normal-ish eyes. Maybe two or three different styles based on the shape of the iris/retina/whatever. The women get slightly more detailed eyes but still nothing too wacky.

There are some overused personalities, I'll give you that. Most generic shows have the reserved character who is shy and gets embarrassed easily. Then there's the exact opposite with the extrovert character who places a lot of emphasis on syllables (which, when written, basically have tildes and holds all over the place). There are a lot more, but whatever.

Again, this doesn't happen in every anime. I agree that it's overused, but at the same time, if you counted all of the shows that had these types of characters, I bet it wouldn't even account for 10% of all anime.

You're basing your opinion on stereotypes and just a handful of shows.
Squeek is offline   Reply With Quote