Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Critical Thinking (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   mathematical curiosity (one of those again) (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=139773)

iCeCuBEz v2 11-18-2014 12:02 PM

mathematical curiosity (one of those again)

OK, so in my probability and statistics class we talked about normal distribution, which is defined by;

where mu is the average (or first moment about the origin) and lowercase sigma is standard deviation (or square root of variance)

This is a probability distribution, so the area under this curve over the entire interval is going to be 1.

OK that's easy peasy, but a while ago I remember stumbling upon this formula.... the Gaussian Integral (not to be confused with Gaussian Distribution)

These formulas, for what they are representing are very very similar. They have the same curvature and are over the same interval.

The discrepancy between the two is the computed integrals. The normal distribution will have an area under its curvature of 1 (obviously), and the area under the Gaussian Integral I just presented is the square root of pi. The area of the Gaussian Integral can be easily proved with this method.

so anyway my question......

is there any bridge between these formulas?

Zapmeister 11-18-2014 12:12 PM

Re: mathematical curiosity (one of those again)

not sure what question you're asking. are you trying to verify using the gaussian integral formula that the area under the normal distribution curve is indeed 1? if you start with the gaussian integral formula and substitute y = (x - mu)/(sigma*sqrt2) then the normal distribution pdf becomes 1/sqrt(pi)*exp(-y^2) which integrates to 1

let me know if you were asking a different question

iCeCuBEz v2 11-18-2014 12:17 PM

Are these formulas related.... like could one be written as the other or something... I guess that's what I'm asking

OK THIS is what im asking, could you algebraically manipulate one of those formulas to arrive at the other one or vice versa?

Dynam0 11-18-2014 12:26 PM

The normal distribution function is just a transformation of a Gaussian Function. The variance/mean/etc. all impose characteristics on this function to ensure that the integral is equal to 1.

Zapmeister proved it but not in a detailed line-by-line way like your post did for a base Gaussian Function.

edit:

here is the standard form for a Gaussian Function:

iCeCuBEz v2 11-18-2014 12:28 PM

yeah I understand that I was just looking for the step by step way of doing it I just couldn't do it on my own and I didn't see one online.

ok dynamo that's all I needed to see question solved idk where you found that that was EXACTLY what I was looking for.....

wow painfully obvious I'm mad at myself for not figuring that out. the curve ball was that the parent function can't really be deduced (at least by me) by looking at e^(-x^2)

Charles Claythorne 11-21-2014 03:24 PM

So if I understand correctly, you just want to derive the Gaussian Integral from the Gaussian Distribution? If that's the case, it's just simply a case of a few substitutions.

I was trying to use LaTeX, but I kept screwing something up, so I wrote it down instead!!! The picture is sort of big though, so I apologise about that.

stargroup100 11-22-2014 09:36 AM

One bit of insight as to how you can know these formulas can be derived from each other without even needing to do any work is knowing the basic relationships of functions and chain rule. For example, these two equations are related the same way you know that f(x) = x^2 is related to g(x) = 3(x-4)^2.

The transformations that turn the Gaussian Integral into the normal distribution are:
- Horizontal translation by a constant, μ (which obviously does not affect the integral given the limits follow the translation)
- Horizontal stretch by a constant factor, σ√2 (which changes the integral by that factor)
- Vertical stretch by a constant factor, 1/σ√(2π) (which changes the integral by that factor)

√π * σ√2 / σ√(2π) = 1

iCeCuBEz v2 11-23-2014 11:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Charles Claythorne (Post 4236347)
So if I understand correctly, you just want to derive the Gaussian Integral from the Gaussian Distribution? If that's the case, it's just simply a case of a few substitutions.

I was trying to use LaTeX, but I kept screwing something up, so I wrote it down instead!!! The picture is sort of big though, so I apologise about that.

thanks

and yes sg i understand how they are derived with translations i wanted to see the work

JurseyRider734 11-30-2014 04:08 AM

why dont u just ask nick

MasterOfTheTaco 11-30-2014 11:56 AM

¯\_(ツ)_/¯

iCeCuBEz v2 12-1-2014 10:58 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JurseyRider734 (Post 4240367)
why dont u just ask nick

next time

igotrhythm 03-6-2016 11:25 PM

Another fun thing about the normal curve is that the inflection points are located one standard deviation away from the mean/median/mode.

Soundwave- 03-7-2016 12:19 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igotrhythm (Post 4414379)
Another fun thing about the normal curve is that the inflection points are located one standard deviation away from the mean/median/mode.

Huh.

Prove it.

reuben_tate 03-7-2016 03:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Soundwave- (Post 4414390)
Huh.

Prove it.

http://math.stackexchange.com/questi...lection-points

Jtehanonymous 03-7-2016 08:25 PM

good read

igotrhythm 03-9-2016 07:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by reuben_tate (Post 4414392)

Thanks for the Helping Hand.