Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Tournaments (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=64)
-   -   Challenging Competition~ (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=123458)

justin_ator 04-11-2012 03:45 AM

Challenging Competition~

Welcome to:

Justin_ator's Diagonal Scroll Competition!

Quick background info:
I know of about three people that actually play diagonal scroll, and thought it might be interesting to hold a competition of sorts like this to just get people to test it out and give it a shot. I find it quite fun and a new challenge, and it's something that is kinda cool to show off too.

The gist of the competition:
Everyone will start in the same place with the same songs, and will progress forward each 'round'. The songs start VERY easy, so you don't have to worry about not being able to do well at diagonal scroll. You'll have a few rounds of easy things first. The users with the highest raw scores total will be the ones that win the competition! I'd say everyone has a pretty fair chance at winning this, due to so few people actually playing on diagonal scroll.

Smaller details:

Start Date - Sunday, 4/15/2012 whenever I can get on to start it.
Rounds - 2 days exactly for each round, most likely 6 or 7 rounds depending.
Song Difficulties - 2, 3, 4, 6, 7, 8, (9/10 depending)
Screen shots [REQUIRED] -
SS's MUST be in this format:

this is because the 'undefined' verifies that the score was gotten using diagonal scroll. replays may be included but are relatively pointless due to the fact that they just replay the score on upscroll.

blah blah blah - I reserve the right to disqualify people, ignore scores, and request videos; don't be a jerk, etc

SPREADSHEET

How to set up diagonal scroll [IMPORTANT]:
There are a few things you have to know. First off, the only engine that runs diagonal scroll is the legacy engine (direct swf link). I realize this ruins the chance to use noteskins, and other features that might be in velocity's engines, but it can't be helped since he hasn't added diagonal scroll back in (and probably won't since there are only 3 people currently that play it). I apologize for that, but it can't be helped. Also, I'm not 100% sure on this, but you might HAVE to use a standalone flash player to run diagonal scroll. I'm not sure that browsers support it properly (I know my Chrome doesn't, but idk about the rest).

Those two things being said, there are a few things you have to know (use the image to help you find things or set them correctly if needed).

1. You have to select diagonal scroll on the main screen.

2. You are limited on speedmods. This is not my rule, it is the game's mechanics that limit it. From 0.01 to 0.99 you can use two decimals, but once you hit 1.0 you can only have one decimal. After 1.0, you can only go up to 1.2 before it stops working. Keep that in mind when selecting your speedmod.

3. You have to re-map your keys. I'll explain in what way here:

Code:

Left          -->        Up
Down        -->        Left
Up          -->        Down
Right          -->        Right

So something like ASDF becomes DASF, etc.

Prizes!:

Greedy bastards

You don't deserve anything

At least I don't think so

Okay fine maybe you can have something for coming in the top few...

How about... 1 credit each?

jk prize pot is starting at about 80k, courtesy of your host.

Participants:

TC_Halogen
awein999 (...lol you win)
reuben_tate
subin
[TeRa]
Elite Ninja
who_cares973
RadiantVibe
popsicle_3000
Jake Ferguson
thesunfan

SPON CON

To start things off, for the next few days I want to get people to test it, get it working, maybe spark some interest. I'm giving 3k credits to anyone who AAA's Power before the start of the competition! Starting off simple :]

TC_Halogen - sent
[TeRa] - sent
Elite Ninja - sent
popsicle_3000 - sent
Jake Ferguson - sent
thesunfan - sent
RadiantVibe - sent

Quick Disclaimer:
If there are still issues with running this, I can't solve everything...it was somewhat buggy from the start (hence the limitations) and from there it only got worse with code changes and updates over time. If you can't get it to work in browser, first thing to try is the standalone. After that you may just have to toy with it. I think four days is pretty good though for getting time to get it working.

jimerax 04-11-2012 03:52 AM

Re: Challenging Competition~

approved.

TC_Halogen 04-11-2012 03:53 AM

in.

TC_Halogen 04-11-2012 04:03 AM

First time ever playing diagonal scroll, haha

justin_ator 04-11-2012 04:07 AM

Easy songs are pretty easy if you can adapt quickly, but trying to play harder songs gets really challenging fast. Patterns are a lot harder to distinguish on diagonal scroll. Based on the performance for the first few rounds, the difficulties are subject to change as necessary to kind of cater to the majority. Some of you might get a tad bit bored, some might struggle, but it's all fun for the sake of worthless internet monies :3

also, sent the 3k

Tarrik 04-11-2012 04:13 AM

I play diagonal sometimes, so i'll give it a crack.

awein999 04-11-2012 04:16 AM

in

reuben_tate 04-11-2012 04:19 AM

Sure, I'll give it a shot. xD

Tarrik 04-11-2012 04:27 AM

Lol this is funny

[TeRa] 04-11-2012 05:27 AM

in

Elite Ninja 04-11-2012 08:26 AM

woot in

I tried a 4 with diagonal scroll and that didn't turn out so well :<

who_cares973 04-11-2012 08:44 AM

In

RadiantVibe 04-11-2012 09:38 AM

in

justin_ator 04-11-2012 09:52 AM

Updated. I'll make a spreadsheet closer to the start of the competition, when there are more people to add. Not having divisions makes it easy to do a spreadsheet haha

Although I've been considering doing two divisions, since I know there will be a learning curve that some struggle with and others just fly through.

who_cares973 04-11-2012 09:59 AM

No divisions or else people will give you shit on placement

popsicle_3000 04-11-2012 10:03 AM

1 Attachment(s)
i'm in.

ffdfadsdasd 04-11-2012 10:05 AM

Dossar here,

Diagonal scroll is only available on legacy and I tried using 1.0 speedmod and remapping my keys. Even with remapping, all I'm getting are boos (I actually quadmashed to see if it was working at all, and zero arrows were hit, they were all boos and misses).

justin_ator 04-11-2012 10:08 AM

popsicle was having the same issue, and 0.9 ended up working for him. Go ahead and try some more speedmods for a bit and make sure all your settings are normal and offset is 0.

popsicle_3000 04-11-2012 10:08 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ffdfadsdasd (Post 3674118)
Dossar here,

Diagonal scroll is only available on legacy and I tried using 1.0 speedmod and remapping my keys. Even with remapping, all I'm getting are boos (I actually quadmashed to see if it was working at all, and zero arrows were hit, they were all boos and misses).

talking w/ justin, i tried 0.9, and it worked for me. i was having the same problem as you.
edit: lol ninja'd

justin_ator 04-11-2012 10:15 AM

Also, if you aren't on standalone that might be the issue. I've never been able to play it in browser ever. Might not be everyone's issue, but it could be for you.