Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Stepmania (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   So I'm planning to whore stepmania... (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=115932)

CoolRun 12-5-2010 10:09 PM

So I'm planning to whore stepmania...

...over the winter holidays in the coming two weeks. I've had a bit of SM experience but only to the extent of a few packs, so I'm still noobish to the game. These would include:

Community Keyboard Megapack Volumes 1, 2 & 3
FFR Community Pack
Fresh Flock of Fantastic Files (F4)
Hard Songs Megapack 1
Keyboard Collaboration I, II & III
Keyboard Mega Pack 1 & 2
ODIpack 1
Puritanical Penis Pack I & II
SMGpack 1 & 2

I want to get better at FFR. I have already AAA'd all public songs, 1-9, and I'm starting to struggle on 10's. My hands can't keep up with certain FMOs and lots of FGOs. I still don't know too much about SM, so a few questions I want to ask:

- Are there packs that anyone can recommend based on speed and/or jacking?
- What would be a good Cmod to play on? I used to play on c600, but as I turned back on FFR's revival, I went back to x1.75 which is about c542.5 here on FFR. I don't know how to approach cmods anymore.
- Noteskins. I'm used to playing on orbular and still prefer it over any other. Other recommendations would be great.
- Other things of SM I should know about?

Thanks in advance.

kmay 12-5-2010 10:15 PM

Re: So I'm planning to whore stepmania...

get rebounds dump pack and the midares

i use 1.75 on FFR and c650 on SM. seems to be about the same because FFR shows less frames at any given time than SM does.

use obular, j4, and if you want take off holds(since there are none in FFR, although it helps your reading and with awkward patterns)

Xiaounlimited 12-6-2010 01:53 AM

Read what you're comfortable with. Some people play c500, some people play c900. Whatever you can read well, stick with.

Orbular is still hands down the best 4k skin.

Patashu 12-6-2010 02:31 AM

Download Tachyon Alpha, Tachyon Beta, SSSC Pack, SSSC Pack 2 and Loaded Futurepack. They're packs focused around ultra fast streams, trills and jacks.

Most people's sweet spot is C600-C800. However, consider using a speedmod 10-25% as big with the distant mod on - it helps you combo but makes your MA worse.

If you want to get good at jacks, here's what you do: Find the jacky simfile for Sandstorm (in one of the HSMPs I believe, or get someone to hit you up), then play it over and over and over with failoff. Don't stop even when your wrists are burning, training jacking is about physically exhausting your wrists. When sandstorm feels too easy, do sandstorm 1.1x again with failoff. It will hurt, but after doing it every day for a week you'll be more consistent at jacks.

CoolRun 12-6-2010 06:56 AM

Thanks for the advice guys. These packs are awesome. It's tempting me to play SM more than FFR now. @.@

leonid 12-6-2010 06:58 AM

Get Melon Collaboration Pack it's the best pack ever released

kmay 12-6-2010 07:11 AM

if you have SM 3.95 click here to get SMO

Fogfactor 12-6-2010 08:22 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Patashu (Post 3361594)
Download Tachyon Alpha, Tachyon Beta, SSSC Pack, SSSC Pack 2 and Loaded Futurepack. They're packs focused around ultra fast streams, trills and jacks.

Most people's sweet spot is C600-C800. However, consider using a speedmod 10-25% as big with the distant mod on - it helps you combo but makes your MA worse.

If you want to get good at jacks, here's what you do: Find the jacky simfile for Sandstorm (in one of the HSMPs I believe, or get someone to hit you up), then play it over and over and over with failoff. Don't stop even when your wrists are burning, training jacking is about physically exhausting your wrists. When sandstorm feels too easy, do sandstorm 1.1x again with failoff. It will hurt, but after doing it every day for a week you'll be more consistent at jacks.

Whatever happened to going outside?

Gundam-Dude 12-6-2010 11:25 AM

Get some recent packs from IcyWorld's thread here since you have mostly old packs.

Packs I would recommend:
- Community Keyboard Pack 4 (yes there's a 4th one)
- Dark Chancellors Pack
- FFR Community Pack 2 (yes there's a 2nd one)
- Light Chancellors Packs 1 and 2
- Midare Megapacks 1 through 5 (hard files only. good for speed, stamina, and jacking practice)
- Mystery Packs 1 and 2 (guess the simfile author !!)
- ODI Pack 2 (you only have the 1st one)
- Red Fraction Pack
- Xoon 4: Red and Blue version (only if you have the HDD space to waste and want 100 files)
- Xoon 5 (Basically Dark Chancellors Pack 2)

By keeping up to date with packs, you'll get a feel with how files are being stepped nowadays since they've changed a lot over time.

Xiaounlimited 12-6-2010 03:02 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fogfactor (Post 3361660)

YOU DON'T

rparty89 12-6-2010 03:21 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Fogfactor (Post 3361660)

Well sometimes people have to go outside. Not me because it is cold outside right now. i_i

Tarrik 12-6-2010 04:18 PM

Quote:

Where to get Tachyon Alpha, Tachyon Beta, SSSC Pack, SSSC Pack 2 and Loaded Futurepack?

Edit- Got the Tachyon Alpha and Beta off KBO, still can't find the others unless I'm blind.

Andrew Mitchell 12-6-2010 04:24 PM

heres tachyon alpha i just downloaded it

http://www.megaupload.com/?d=VF7XP9OF

Tarrik 12-6-2010 04:26 PM

Thanks, just a bit late though ;p But it'll help others who come to the thread and want it :D

UnkownMan 12-6-2010 04:34 PM

May I suggest the AIDS INFESTED HERPIES PACK?

C@! 12-6-2010 04:53 PM

Quote:

Lol I did that and I felt like I was gonna get carpal tunnel

Xiaounlimited 12-6-2010 09:56 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by C@! (Post 3362027)
Lol I did that and I felt like I was gonna get carpal tunnel

You know, that probably was you actually getting close to acquiring CTS.

Emo_Saur_ 12-6-2010 09:58 PM

http://www.derailedgaming.info/simfiles/

There are a lot of packs there.

who_cares973 12-6-2010 10:17 PM

just download my files they cater to every players needs

C@! 12-6-2010 10:32 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Xiaounlimited (Post 3362325)
You know, that probably was you actually getting close to acquiring CTS.

That would totally suck...how long does CTS last?