Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR General Talk (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Noteskin Poll (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=112284)

stargroup 09-13-2009 01:09 PM

Noteskin Poll

For the FFR 6 key engine, we're thinking about eliminating the arrow noteskin completely, but we are worried about whether or not it will alienate users. As a result, we have made this poll.

Do some of you need to have arrows, or are you fine with switching to something new?

bender5 09-13-2009 01:10 PM

Re: Noteskin Poll

Arrows have always been my personal favorite for 4 arrow, but for 6 key it makes sense to use bars or whatever.

The diagonal arrows are kind of dumb, so a change probably wouldn't be that bad.

gnr61 09-13-2009 01:19 PM

bars are a better representation but i can only read arrows D:
is there no way to implement a mod that can switch back and forth

Phynx 09-13-2009 01:24 PM

Well as my argument goes, give the option to choose whatever skin you want, as you can with SM. Now I know you want to make this into a whole different style game but the overlying concept is the same. You can do as you wish but at least give the options to the users, not the creators. Simple law of business really. You listen to their suggestions and if enough wish to have it, make it happen. You really can't go wrong by pleasing everyone rather than pleasing a select group of people.

P.S. - For people like me, it's not the directions that dictate why arrows work for me. I play 4-key and 6-key with FFR-Note SOLELY because of the visual accuracy I have placed by associating with only arrowed keys. Plus, FFR-Note helps me because the colors are not so bright and annoying and they don't become a detriment to my eyes.

My final conclusion, a.k.a. my opinion, allow for the options to be with the members. And for people like me who enjoy FFR-Note or any note for that matter based on the reasons I mentioned above, make an arrowed noteskin similar but your own style based on whatever style yours may be. :)

dore 09-13-2009 01:35 PM

it's a lot easier to learn a music game if the columns have some sort of separation from each other. if you were to go about that by having GH/PIU/whatever style bars with a different color for each column, that would work too. but I think arrows are good to have, because until people get the muscle memory to play 6 key as opposed to 4 key it's nice to have some sort of easy distinguishing factor so that it's harder to get disoriented.

Phynx 09-13-2009 01:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dore (Post 3225945)
it's a lot easier to learn a music game if the columns have some sort of separation from each other. if you were to go about that by having GH/PIU/whatever style bars with a different color for each column, that would work too. but I think arrows are good to have, because until people get the muscle memory to play 6 key as opposed to 4 key it's nice to have some sort of easy distinguishing factor so that it's harder to get disoriented.

Agreed! I support that fact to based on how biased my ability to play arrows over other skins is. I don't want to downplay notebar but I DO use it on occasion in SM, rarely but still do, so I'm not completely out of its loop but my ability to play with notebar fell sharply as opposed to the arrows.

TC_Halogen 09-13-2009 02:36 PM

Just make it an option. Eliminating it completely could keep people away from it because they aren't used to reading normal arrow noteskins. It's a nice benefit to have the bars though.

Wineandbread 09-13-2009 02:50 PM

Call me dumb, but how is the first option different from the second one?

I think implementing choices for noteskins would be best, but that might make it "too much like SM oh noes"

Phynx 09-13-2009 02:54 PM

Star, I like the idea of individualizing this game apart from most other rhythm games and I would go as far as to endorse the idea. But for the sake of the users, leave the customization options up to them. Where I think you'd show the most individualization in it is how you scored(judged) the way people played the game. If you have a completely unique way of scoring, that alone is enough to set your game off from the rest of the herd.

OneHandNow 09-13-2009 03:37 PM

Have both options.

But anything above 4key should have barnotes.. (it makes it easier/less frustrating for people.)

Phynx 09-13-2009 03:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by OneHandNow (Post 3226068)
But anything above 4key should have barnotes.. (it makes it easier/less frustrating for people.)

Opinion. It in fact does not make it easier for some people. Dore explained it best.

stargroup 09-13-2009 03:42 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by dore (Post 3225945)
if you were to go about that by having GH/PIU/whatever style bars with a different color for each column, that would work too.

yeah we were thinking about doing this as yet another option

Superfreak04 09-13-2009 04:05 PM

I prefer those orbular noteskins. I'm talking about those circle ones.

jugglinguy 09-13-2009 04:06 PM

Just make an option for it to make everyone very happy. Newer players have a hard enough time figuring out which note to hit and eliminating any real difference in column shapes just adds to the problem. At least in my experience.

Phynx 09-13-2009 04:10 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by 0 (Post 3226084)
I like the idea of having a choice to pick different noteskins

also +1 support for putting the arrows in the right order

Really, I like the diagonals on the outside. I've played solo in SM a lot and the diagonals in the middle are just BLEH! But I'm just one man. Haha, Star! Have blast make it so IF we do have arrow noteskins, we can move them in any order we want. Another option anyway.

Ice wolf 09-13-2009 04:51 PM

Honestly, why would you not put an option to choose whichever noteskin you want?

There needs to be an option to choose your nokeskin and there needs to be an option to choose whether or not you want the diagonal arrows on the outside.

stargroup 09-13-2009 05:39 PM

making an option for whether or not to put the diagonals on the outside is too much work and not worth it.

at the very most arrows are a temporary noteskin. I don't plan on keeping them forever

Flandre Scarlet 09-13-2009 06:27 PM

I'd rather have something like notebar or orbular instead of arrows for solo.

Diagonals makes it harder for me to read and hit notes on easy songs, as I'm still bad at solo.

But, an option to switch between arrows and something like notebar wouldn't hurt to have for those who rather stay with arrows.

samurai7694 09-13-2009 06:37 PM

Yes, I would like it very much. (new noteskin)

leonid 09-13-2009 06:42 PM

I prefer 4 keys hurhurhur durf durf jk