Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   IRL vs. Online personalities (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=124408)

iironiic 06-18-2012 12:04 AM

IRL vs. Online personalities

How does your in real life (IRL) personality differ from your online personality?

I personally think that from my online personality, I am generally more depressive than in real life, where I am seen as a hyper crazy and outgoing person. I think I tend to act more smart online than in real life too but generally when I have my one-with-one moments in real life, I tend to open up much more intelligently, and sometimes dumber depending on the person haha.

What about you guys?

adlp 06-18-2012 12:07 AM

Re: IRL vs. Online personalities

i am the exact same person irl as i am online

Hurleyisgod 06-18-2012 12:10 AM

I'm the same, super quiet and shy. I'd say im a little more open irl actually o.o

dragonmegaXX 06-18-2012 12:10 AM

Im a total furfag online and offline.

The only real difference is that I tend to make more money irl

dAnceguy117 06-18-2012 12:17 AM

I used to mimic some of the leading figures from this site several years back. in other words, I seized any opportunity to make snide or caustic remarks. guess I thought it was funny or something.

I very rarely make fun of people face-to-face. after taking a break from most online interaction, I became much more aware of how differently I acted over the interwebs. nowadays my posting/chatting/whatever style is much more aligned with how I act in person.

edit: great idea for a thread, by the way. I think most users on here will be able to point out several differences.

DossarLX ODI 06-18-2012 12:19 AM

I don't swear as much IRL, and IRL the people around me are different from who I see online. Basically online I have a different audience, and IRL people would just be confused and think I'm going insane or something.

So basically for me, the main different between IRL and online is the context. You also can't really express the same thing IRL as you could online (for example, the sun emoticon on Skype, the "Victorymanias" picture I have, etc.) so this results in different behavior.

Online I'm generally a lot more intelligent, simply because sometimes I can look up something to understand the context of a discussion. IRL it's basically "you either know it on the spot, or you don't", and this is one of the main things that makes me mad when it comes to asking questions. Yay thanks for being a douchebag since I didn't want to look it up later!

Zageron 06-18-2012 12:24 AM

I am mostly the same on both fronts. I have my immature spurts when I'm in a really good mood both irl and online. Only differences is I don't challenge stupid/ignorant people in real life, where as I try to belittle them as much as possible online.

samurai7694 06-18-2012 12:27 AM

a bit more shy irl but still act the same around people I know

Jerry DB 06-18-2012 12:28 AM

I am the exact same both ways like some people have already said. Although in person you would see the other sides of me that you can't really see in ffr. Such as athletic abilities and the body language I use. I don't act different because I have always believed in showing people who you truly are, I don't hold back anything unless I'm in school or trying to get a job/at work. I actually lost a few(crappy to begin with) friends because they talked crap about how I play ffr way too much and I responded by talking way more crap back and almost getting in fights over it lmao. I just replaced those crappy friends with better friends on here, and my true friends like me no matter what I do. I don't know why they would talk crap to begin with because I hang out with people more then I play ffr

T-Force 06-18-2012 12:29 AM

Pretty much the same.

j-rodd123 06-18-2012 12:32 AM

online im female and irl im male.

jk lol obv but pretty much the same, a lot more social/intelligent irl than online tho lol. online i can be a big retard lol

m0de 06-18-2012 12:36 AM

my work takes over my life. i work 6 days a week, nearly 12 hours a day. there is a few girls i work with (restaurant job) that i can joke around with, with recent internet news as far as internet related personality goes.. but i joke with everyone i work with constantly, and i am considered "the funny guy".

im actually a very shy person irl. most of my friends know me as the guy who doesnt speak much.. unless i have some drinks in me. online, im totally NOT shy.

although i have been socially shy my entire life, it has not prevented my love life from being absent. /coolstorybro.

DossarLX ODI 06-18-2012 12:37 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zageron (Post 3710354)
Only differences is I don't challenge stupid/ignorant people in real life, where as I try to belittle them as much as possible online.

Arguments IRL with stupid/ignorant/impulsive people are horrendous. I myself have witnessed people smashing shit and blaming it on me when I was being perfectly reasonable with delivering my thoughts, but they just couldn't handle it.

Online, discussions can be way more chill and reasonable. IRL I find that some people just use the "yell over you and don't care what you say" technique and then it just turns into nothing but yelling back at each other with the possibility of physical violence from how unbearable these situations are. Online, you can't do that.

EzExZeRo7497 06-18-2012 12:42 AM

I'm pretty much the same in real life, except I'm more talkative/depressed really.

Zyphoror 06-18-2012 12:47 AM

I act gay more often with online friends than I do with irl friends

sticklydude 06-18-2012 12:48 AM

Pretty much the same, except if something or someone bothers me online, I'll have no problem saying it. Irl, I'll just let it go.

justin_ator 06-18-2012 12:50 AM

It really depends.

I'm not sure what kind of perception a lot of you have of me anymore, but overall I'm pretty similar between irl and online. I spend a lot of time doing things to help out and make people happy, and so that "try-hard" attitude that some of you hate is present offline as well and you probably wouldn't like me then either. I'm a down-to-earth person most of the time and I do a lot of thinking about what I say (I do a lot of thinking about my responses online as well, but a lot of times the things I choose to say many think I didn't even consider what I was saying to start). I do a LOT of joking around, I'm a very sarcastic and funny person in a lame kind of way. Very outspoken with those that I'm close with, and quick to open up with people that seem to care. That as well kind of shifts between both online and irl interactions. I'd say the biggest thing that you'd find for me online only is some of the confidence I have sometimes, because it's quite different to act some way online than to act the same way out in public or something.

tl;dr
I care about people irl and love to help, just like I do on FFR. Not a whole lot of difference between who I am online and who I am in person.

Zageron 06-18-2012 12:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by DossarLX ODI (Post 3710364)
Arguments IRL with stupid/ignorant/impulsive people are horrendous. I myself have witnessed people smashing shit and blaming it on me when I was being perfectly reasonable with delivering my thoughts, but they just couldn't handle it.

Online, discussions can be way more chill and reasonable. IRL I find that some people just use the "yell over you and don't care what you say" technique and then it just turns into nothing but yelling back at each other with the possibility of physical violence from how unbearable these situations are. Online, you can't do that.

Yeah, at least online you can back up your arguments with well thought out research and tactics. In real life, you only have your own word and bias. Sadly, their bias always overpowers your knowledge, facts, and no one wants to be wrong. The longer the argument goes on the less I want to prove them wrong, because they'll resent me for it. So I just don't argue, and say "Is that right? Neat." or something like that.

AlexDest 06-18-2012 01:01 AM

Online: I'm just laid back and try to keep my nose where it doesn't belong. Don't want to be too personal at all.

IRL: Basically the same, but probably more shy and awkward.