Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Bug Reports and Suggestions (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=15)
-   -   MAJOR Lag Issues (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=117059)

justin_ator 01-20-2011 12:35 AM

MAJOR Lag Issues

Okay....this is going to be a bit of information, because I am not looking for answers like "use the standalone" anymore. The only info I can't give you (because I don't know) is how much ram and whatnot the computer has.

Lately, I have been playing the majority of my FFR on an offline engine. I do this for two reasons:
1. I can then play in my room, rather than in the kitchen.
2. It gives me NO lag whatsoever, unless it just happens to be a bad day with a random lag spike.

The computer in my room is an XP, the thing is old. It runs so nicely.
The computer in the kitchen is Vista. I hate it with a passion.

I can't have internet in my room, so a standalone on the XP is impossible. I need help finding a solution.

I have decided that my lag issues are not due to the game or server issues, but rather the computer itself. I don't know what the problem is, but here is a list of what I have tried:
  1. Regular FFR in every web browser (IE, FF, Chrome, Safari)
  2. Lite FFR in every web browser
  3. Standalone swf in every web browser
  4. Standalone with no browser in Flash 8 & 9
  5. Velocity's Engine in every web browser
  6. Velocity's Standalone in every web browser
  7. Velocity's Standalone with no browser in both Flash 8 & 9
You can repeat that list with everything again, adding in running Game Booster as well. None of it is working for me....it all lags too much to play. I can't FC FMO's, and sure as heck can't AAA anything but Excite Bike.

Can anyone help me? I'm getting desperate....
Oh and p.s., even my offline engine lags on this computer a little.

And "move your computer or your internet" doesn't help me. I can't. It's my family computer and I can't have internet in my room, as I already stated. My parents are nazis. Help is greatly appreciated, guys. =]

nuclearsamurai 01-20-2011 12:39 AM

Re: MAJOR Lag Issues

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin_ator (Post 3400389)
The computer in the kitchen is Vista.

Well, here's your problem.

justin_ator 01-20-2011 12:40 AM

Yes, so a solution?
Other than "get a new computer"

EDIT:
None of this would be an issue if obtaining and updating specific scores from the offline engine wasn't such a big no-no. I mean, when I get something like this on the offline engine, and can't update it on here, it sucks. But there is no way I'll ever get that on this computer....

nuclearsamurai 01-20-2011 12:43 AM

Does "upgrade to W7" seem possible?

justin_ator 01-20-2011 12:48 AM

Never really considered it...what exactly does that entail? If it involves a lot of changes to the computer and the files we have on it, it won't work...but I don't know much about that, so I'd need more info.

ninjaKIWI 01-20-2011 12:51 AM

You'd have to format to install W7, but you could just backup anything you need to save. It's no big deal.

justin_ator 01-20-2011 12:59 AM

Any other suggestions? I'd really rather not have to go through backing everything up and everything else, seeing as I am only going to be on this computer and internet until I get a laptop for graduation in a few months.

Koolmaster242 01-20-2011 07:17 AM

What comp is it?

Lelric 01-20-2011 07:35 AM

Justin, I seem to be having the same problems as you, however it's not because I have Vista, as it actually only came about recently, namely when they moved from the original FFR engine to the newer one.

Edit: When I try using the FFR Offline engine, it freezes for at least 2 full seconds after it loads a song, making me instantly fail. Velocity Engine runs a bit better than the regular FFR engine, but it's still keeping me from AAAing or even FCing almost anything.

justin_ator 01-20-2011 09:59 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Koolmaster242 (Post 3400474)
What comp is it?

An HP Pavilion. Running Vista.

Zageron 01-20-2011 10:09 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin_ator (Post 3400515)
An HP Pavilion. Running Vista.

Sounds old.

You need upgrade. If you're doing everything you say, (Really just running stand alone flash 9 and gamebooster) and it still lags, then I'm going to take a wild guess and say your computer is not good enough to handle FFR.

FFR is written in an old programming language that doesn't like rendering images as much as the new one does, therefore it's much slower.

Good luck.

justin_ator 01-20-2011 10:39 AM

Well I can't do anything about the computer..

I wiped a bunch of things off of it and in the process lost my flash 9 standalone, could someone link me to it again?

Zageron 01-20-2011 11:00 AM

Other things you can try:
16BIT colour
Safe mode (/w Networking)

Reincarnate 01-20-2011 11:11 AM

Turn off Windows Aero.

justin_ator 01-20-2011 11:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Reincarnate (Post 3400530)
Turn off Windows Aero.

Not sure I know what you are talking about, care to explain?

Semi-related, ThirdStyle hardly lags for me...?

Reincarnate 01-20-2011 11:12 AM

http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/windo...windows-vista/

Zageron 01-20-2011 11:17 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by justin_ator (Post 3400531)
Not sure I know what you are talking about, care to explain?

Semi-related, ThirdStyle hardly lags for me...?

As in my previous comment, TS is written in AS3. AS3 supports high speed rendering really well.

justin_ator 01-20-2011 11:21 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Zageron (Post 3400537)
As in my previous comment, TS is written in AS3. AS3 supports high speed rendering really well.

ohhhh, gotcha.

EDIT: Turning off Aero helped a little, I can play and FC things now. The lag is still bad though, no way I can PA anything... (Standalone with game booster)

rushyrulz 01-20-2011 12:33 PM

Option 1: New computer, yours is old

Option 2: Run vista for best performance instead of best graphics: click
On a flash 9 standalone, make sure you go into settings on the swf and uncheck hardware acceleration.

Option 3: Quit.

My experience with gamebooster leads me to believe that it's useless if you're running windows classic for 7 or best performance for vista.

Reincarnate 01-20-2011 12:37 PM

justin_ator: Try the standalone Flash 8 player