Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Chit Chat (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=17)
-   -   Satanic Monument for OK Statehouse (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=136795)

justin_ator 05-3-2014 11:31 PM

Satanic Monument for OK Statehouse

Src: http://www.vice.com/read/heres-the-f...ource=vicefbus

Interesting topic, think they'll get it put up, or do you think the powers that be will remove the 10 commandments before allowing that to stand?

Other thoughts?

gold stinger 05-4-2014 12:09 AM

Re: Satanic Monument for OK Statehouse

I can't really put together the words needed to explain my thought on this topic. It's just.. why?

Izzy 05-4-2014 12:26 AM

Nice artwork I guess. They will probably remove both.

noname219 05-4-2014 12:41 AM

+

Sculptor definitely listens to metal.

Wayward Vagabond 05-4-2014 07:49 AM

That statue is baller. I wouldn't mind having like smaller version of that so I can place it on my desktop

FoJaR 05-4-2014 08:08 AM

so basically i feel like this is the angstiest teenage rebellion type shit possible, but i also kind of think it's funny.

devonin 05-4-2014 08:15 AM

I think this is exactly what needed to happen.

Church and State are separate. This is not hard for rational people to understand. Somebody finds a loophole to drop some Christian religious iconography onto government property, this is -exactly- how you make them either change the rules to adhere to the constitution, or else sure, door's open for everybody, and the lawn will be covered in every kind of religious symbol possible.

PaperclipGames 05-4-2014 11:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 4129064)

Church and State are separate. This is not hard for rational people to understand. Somebody finds a loophole to drop some Christian religious iconography onto government property, this is -exactly- how you make them either change the rules to adhere to the constitution, or else sure, door's open for everybody, and the lawn will be covered in every kind of religious symbol possible.

I wholeheartedly agree.

FoJaR 05-4-2014 01:41 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by devonin (Post 4129064)

well i mean all the us constitution says is that the government must treat all religions equally. there isnt anything that demands a separation of church and state, that's a phrase used to loosely describe the situation.

Quote:

Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof ...
basically it's all about where the line is. according to law, there really shouldnt be a problem with a statue of the ten commandments outside a courthouse, as long as every religion has the same opportunity. it's why the satanists can do what they're doing, because in this case that is adherence to the constitution. but i guess disallowing any kind of iconography on public property is another way to deal with the situation, but it is no more legal than open access.

all the first amendment does is prevent one religion from being set apart from the rest, for good or for ill.

lurker 05-4-2014 02:36 PM

i think it's hilarious that they've made it this far
there's no way they'd remove the ten commandments monument
even though the only reason it's there is the movie "the ten commandments" back in the 70s and it had nothing to do with any religious people demanding that the statue be there
satanists are every bit as retarded as "fundamentalist" christians

igotrhythm 05-4-2014 02:39 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by FoJaR (Post 4129192)
well i mean all the us constitution says is that the government must treat all religions equally. there isnt anything that demands a separation of church and state, that's a phrase used to loosely describe the situation.

basically it's all about where the line is. according to law, there really shouldnt be a problem with a statue of the ten commandments outside a courthouse, as long as every religion has the same opportunity. it's why the satanists can do what they're doing, because in this case that is adherence to the constitution. but i guess disallowing any kind of iconography on public property is another way to deal with the situation, but it is no more legal than open access.

all the first amendment does is prevent one religion from being set apart from the rest, for good or for ill.

Wouldn't disallowing the display of any iconography be in violation of the free exercise clause?

lurker 05-4-2014 03:09 PM

are you retarded
not showing anything would not be in violation of the establishment clause cuz like, not showing anything means they don't favor anything
this isn't tgb you're allowed to use actual logic here

Arntonach 05-4-2014 06:48 PM

Well freedom of religion was one of the things people came to America for in it's formative years (obviously not how it WAS back then, but the principle is true), so it would seem a little weird that they'd pick and choose which religions you can freely worship nowadays. Now I'm sure that they'll just loophole it so they couldn't put the statue up cause they aren't showcasing a religion, but a movie.

GuidoHunter 05-5-2014 07:55 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurker (Post 4129237)
there's no way they'd remove the ten commandments monument

If the alternative is letting a Satanist monument go up, yes, there very much is a way they'd remove the Ten Commandments monument.

Quote:

even though the only reason it's there is the movie "the ten commandments" back in the 70s and it had nothing to do with any religious people demanding that the statue be there
Um... what? To use your own words: "this isn't tgb you're allowed to use actual logic here"

Hilariously bad decade placement of that movie aside, this statement is idiotic.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Arntonach (Post 4129391)
it would seem a little weird that they'd [show a preference for a particular religion]

Clearly you've never been to Oklahoma.

Like dev said, this is legally an all-or-nothing proposition; if they do try to loophole it so that one monument stands and another can't it'll eventually get overturned because such a preference is obviously illegal.

--Guido

Arntonach 05-6-2014 11:30 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by GuidoHunter (Post 4129685)
Clearly you've never been to Oklahoma.

Like dev said, this is legally an all-or-nothing proposition; if they do try to loophole it so that one monument stands and another can't it'll eventually get overturned because such a preference is obviously illegal.

--Guido

I have been to OK, I was just warned to not go anywhere by the locals. X_X;

But you're right, if a hatred for a group is strong enough, people will find a way to make it know even if it would make things harder for them. Reminds me of the high school in Utha that banned school clubs cause they didn't want a GSA club at their school. I swear, this "Land of the Free" thing needs to come with stipulations like "Void Where Phrohibited" and "Some Restrictions May Apply."

adlp 05-7-2014 03:04 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by lurker (Post 4129237)
satanists are every bit as retarded as "fundamentalist" christians

yes

igotrhythm 05-10-2014 12:56 PM

Seems relevant.

http://disinfo.com/2014/05/harvard-u...k-mass-monday/