Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   FFR General Talk (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=14)
-   -   Speed Mods vs. Skill Level (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=99857)

Musiks 09-20-2008 11:58 AM

Speed Mods vs. Skill Level

Ok guys, I've been using 1.5x for a long time now, and after just getting back on FFR after a couple months, I'm still doing OK on it, but I've nothing everyone else is doing much better than I remembered. I've tried 1.75x a couple of times but I'm just not that good at it. Should I stay at 1.5x and practice there, or move up a speed mod and get settled in with it? What's your opinion?

I like it 09-20-2008 11:59 AM

Re: Speed Mods vs. Skill Level

Move up to 1.750 It will help once you get useed to it.

EDEdDNEdDYFaN 09-20-2008 12:01 PM

When you first move up in speed it starts out pretty difficult. Over time you get used to it and you'll find yourself being unable to go anything slower. Just play until you find it natural to you.

Musiks 09-20-2008 12:08 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by EDEdDNEdDYFaN (Post 2806768)
When you first move up in speed it starts out pretty difficult. Over time you get used to it and you'll find yourself being unable to go anything slower. Just play until you find it natural to you.

What I used to do on SM was play on a CMod around 100 beats faster than what I wanted to get used to so when I played the CMod I wanted it would be easier. Should I use the same method on FFR or just jump right to 1.75x?

Bluearrowll 09-20-2008 12:29 PM

My optimal speed mod is 2.0x, I can still AAA on 2.25x but I get random goods alot, 2.5x I can FC.

Try doing 1.75 for a day.

dietsnapple135 09-20-2008 12:43 PM

Yeah, I have just recently made the jump from 1.5 to 1.75. The first week I saw little improvement and certain songs were impossible,but now that I'm used to it I'm significantly better. I'll probably move up to 2.0 eventually as well, hopefully 1.875 if they make one.

Wineandbread 09-20-2008 01:14 PM

1.75 for life.
It doesn't take very long to switch speed mods, and it will probably make you better. I'd go for it. I don't think speed mod necessarily determines skill level, but I guess there's some correlation.

rzr 09-20-2008 01:30 PM

Stay at what you're comfortable with. I stick with x1.75. If you're comfortable playing at x1.50, stick it. If you want to go up, do so.

Flaming_Dingleberry 09-20-2008 01:36 PM

Don't change, stay where you're comfortable. Tass plays on x1 and he's better than a lot of people. Speed mods don't create skill out of nowhere, it only adjusts to the player's preferences, so you don't have to adjust anything but the option. Most people can see better when it's faster, but that doesn't mean you're like everyone else, you could be like Tass.

Gilly G 09-20-2008 01:45 PM

Do what you feel is right. If you feel 1.5x is perfect for you, then keep it. If you feel that it is too slow, then try moving up. If 1.75x is too fast, perhaps try 1.5x with some screencutting.

I play with 1.75x and have been ever since I switched to spread. It is my optimal speed, although I feel it is slowly becoming a bit slow, although my PA remains well.

Just stick to what you think is best.

LLaMaSaUceYup 09-20-2008 01:51 PM

Since you just came back from a break, don't change immediately.
Get another feel for the game, once you start to gain a lot more skill, and you feel like a skill boost, start using 1.75x.
It will make you do worse at first, but don't worry, you are just not adjusted yet.
Once you are adjusted you will be doing a lot better then before.

Zageron 09-20-2008 02:06 PM

1.75 is probably the most comfortable speed mod.
BUT if the FFR frame rate was to double, then 2x would be very comfortable.

Musiks 09-20-2008 02:14 PM

Thanks for all the comments guys. I've been trying 1.75x for the last couple of hours and I'm slowly getting better at it. I'm doing a lot better at songs like Starlight and Hellbeat because of the jacks, but songs like Strangeprogram with fast stream are tearing me up. Should I practice using 1.75x on songs that have fast patterned stream for awhile to get used to it, or should I go with faster songs that lack significant patterns like Frictional Nevada or Choprite?

Bluearrowll 09-20-2008 02:16 PM

Try playing your lowest ranked songs. They're often the best practise for switching speed mods.

Kekeb 09-20-2008 02:24 PM

I wish there was a mod between 1.5 and 1.75. For now I can screencut on 1.5, but it doesn't give the same spread-out effect (which is the only reason I would go to 1.75). I'm finding it hard to read songs like Reality on 1.5, I can FC clean on 1.75 with a bunch of goods, but I can't even FC the jumps on 1.5.

Ryusei_ 09-20-2008 02:27 PM

Be a rebel. Use a speed mod AND screencut. 1.5x FTW :)

Musiks 09-20-2008 02:40 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Kekeb (Post 2806949)
I wish there was a mod between 1.5 and 1.75. For now I can screencut on 1.5, but it doesn't give the same spread-out effect (which is the only reason I would go to 1.75). I'm finding it hard to read songs like Reality on 1.5, I can FC clean on 1.75 with a bunch of goods, but I can't even FC the jumps on 1.5.

My situation is a lot like yours, except I don't use a screencut. It's real hard for me to accurately hit arrows on faster songs to. I'll see how your suggestion works out though, Bluearrowll.

Btw, what does a screencut do for you anyways? I never really got the point of it.

Oh, and I noticed the forums gained a lot of grammar, spelling, capitalization, and punctuation skills. I figured I'd stop being a rebel and join in. I'm a grammar nazi IRL anyways.

Musiks 09-20-2008 04:24 PM

Well after playing on 1.75x for around three hours I've noticed I'm a lot better at FCing fast songs, but my accuracy is way down. Hopefully it'll all even out within a day or two so I'll be playing better than on 1.5x!

lumphoboextreme 09-20-2008 04:28 PM

playing c750-c800 on sm screwed me up on FFR. 1.5x with more than half of the screen cut off isnt enough and 1.75 i cant get used to. =(

[TeRa] 09-20-2008 04:38 PM

Stay at whatever speed you are comfortable with.
I've played 1.75x since speed mods came out (actually I played 1.5 for like half a day but whatever). There's no need to move it up if you can't read it.

If your speed mod ever starts to look slow, move it down to 1.25 for like an hour, then go back to what it was.

THOUGH, if you really do want to move up to 1.75, just like above, play 2.0 for a little bit, which will be hard to read, but over a little bit of time you'll get used to it slightly, then switch it to 1.75 and it'll look normal.