Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Stepmania (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=19)
-   -   A Question For Stepartists (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=121443)

hi19hi19 12-5-2011 07:13 AM

A Question For Stepartists

Do you ever step a song you love, then realize you have no idea what you're going to do with the file?

For example I just stepped an 11 minute acoustic guitar and harpsichord song that I really like... but it's a really really easy file, maybe a 4 by FFR standards?
Who the hell wants to play an 11 minute super easy file? What the hell was I thinking? lol

Does this ever happen to anyone else or am I actually going insane now...

Emithith 12-5-2011 07:20 AM

Re: A Question For Stepartists

I don't have this problem, but then again I don't step many files. I always have a feeling that the songs I like are probably way easy and shouldn't be stepped, though lol.

Choofers 12-5-2011 07:31 AM

The issue I have is hearing a song and thinking to myself, "man, this would be nuts on SM."
And then when I sit down with the song in the editor, all I can do is stare at a blank chart.

I've also made a couple charts that I've looked at and thought, "lmao this is gonna be such a weird chart." (in particular, Twenty Minutes and Steinholtz)

wildfireskunk 12-5-2011 08:12 AM

When I choose a song to chart, part of what makes me want to do it is listening to it and thinking "this would make a really fun simfile". Never really happens with easier songs as much as I may love them, precisely for the reason that I can't imagine people playing something long and easy.

If you do a long song you want it to be fun and difficult, like Denjin K Megamix is on feet :D

SKG_Scintill 12-5-2011 08:48 AM

I never step songs I love, because they are smooth jazz

Emithith 12-5-2011 08:57 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Choofers (Post 3583928)
The issue I have is hearing a song and thinking to myself, "man, this would be nuts on SM."
And then when I sit down with the song in the editor, all I can do is stare at a blank chart.

I've also made a couple charts that I've looked at and thought, "lmao this is gonna be such a weird chart." (in particular, Twenty Minutes and Steinholtz)

It's not hard. Just throw down arrows where you think it's on sync, and then once they're all down and on sync, make sure they have patterns that make sense. i.e. go back and revise what you just stepped.

who_cares973 12-5-2011 09:16 AM

theres a lot more to stepping than just that(for me at least)

also this kinda happens to me but i submit my files to any place i can regardless and see what happens xd

bmah 12-5-2011 09:16 AM

lol, if only it's as easy as you say Emithith

I currently have some stepper's block atm

who_cares973 12-5-2011 09:18 AM

start stepping a new song bam steppers block broken. the only problem with this is that your wip folder will increase at an alarming rate

ddr_f4n 12-5-2011 09:25 AM

When stepping for touhou pad packs, you start to realize that a lot of songs SOUNDS good to play on paper, but actually isn't that great once you start playing it.

Happens a lot to some artists I step for Touhou Pad Packs. Like the most recent being CROW'SCLAW's Holy Butterfly. Wasn't...as fun as I thought :<

who_cares973 12-5-2011 10:25 AM

i just finished stepping katy perry's i kissed a girl.

that wont ever see the light of day ever

trumaestro 12-5-2011 11:04 AM

That happens to me all the damn time. I probably have 30 or 40 songs that I started stepping and then realized I don't know what the hell I'm doing with it.

Gundam-Dude 12-5-2011 01:06 PM

I always and only will step songs I like. I don't care whether or not the files turn out boring, I step for my own benefit and finish them regardless of which (I have the mindset to finish almost everything I start which is a good thing). If others happen to enjoy the files, that's just a bonus that adds onto my own satisfaction and self-worth, which is how I see stepping as a whole. I don't step to appeal to people and in the end I have defined for myself a very unique/notable style to charting that's different to every other simfile author out there.

Even at times when I don't really know what exactly to do with a song, I always experiment with different ways and alternatives to problem solve, lol.

hi19hi19 12-5-2011 01:33 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by trumaestro (Post 3583996)
That happens to me all the damn time. I probably have 30 or 40 songs that I started stepping and then realized I don't know what the hell I'm doing with it.

Okay yay I'm not alone.

Also have have 70+ WIPs along with dozens more unreleased files... that's not the problem lol I don't mind waiting until the opportunity is right to release a file. The problem is when I step a song and say to myself "nobody is ever going to play this" (even if it's technically a nice chart) lol

ddr_f4n 12-5-2011 01:38 PM

I remember I had a song I was gonna release for my first pack.

Lost it in an HDD failure.

Tried it again on other comp

Dad accidentally deletes EVERYTHING on that comp x.x

Tried it ONCE more

Comp gets a virus

I gave up ;_;

00Razor00 12-5-2011 01:41 PM

The reason why my WIP folder has grown at an exponential rate.

Ziergdsx18 12-5-2011 01:46 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Gundam-Dude (Post 3584047)
I always and only will step songs I like.

^This. Although once I stop or take a break it's most likely that the file won't see the light of day. xd

iCeCuBEz v2 12-5-2011 09:17 PM

I've only stepped a few files but I step something generic and easy to step so I don't have to bother learning how to use DDream.... seems like a hassle

I go for fun factor and just pick patterns that flow well and are fun to play.... never really cared for making insanely technically correctly stepped files.