Flash Flash Revolution

Flash Flash Revolution (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/index.php)
-   Critical Thinking (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/forumdisplay.php?f=33)
-   -   Rap is technically music (http://www.flashflashrevolution.com/vbz/showthread.php?t=151593)

MixMasterLar 01-6-2020 05:17 PM

Re: Rap is technically music

Quote:

Originally Posted by chooby (Post 4706833)
you won't get a response from me btw since once I log out of this account I won't be able to ever log back in

Oh thank God.

LeKrispyKreme 01-7-2020 11:11 PM

Rap music is music. However, It's not in the traditional sense of how we understand music. The vocals are filled with slangs that gangs used since the 70s and a lot of the instrumentations are replaced with "Street Sounds" instead of traditional instruments. Music is defined as any combination of sounds that is pleasing to the ear, so while one person may find it as "noise" another person can find it pleasing to the ear and so call "vibe" with it as how I think the kids would say it these days.

Not devonin 01-8-2020 12:06 AM

You have a...fundamentally unsound understanding of what Rap is, in a way that is legitimately concerning to me.

Rap is "gang slang" and "street sounds"...I just...I can't. Do you actually know any black people at all? Completely serious question.

All i wanna do is
*gunshot*
*gunshot*
*gunshot*
*gunshot*
*click*
*cash register noise*
explain to you how absolutely ridiculous the thing you just said was.

XelNya 01-8-2020 12:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by LeKrispyKreme (Post 4707012)
Rap music is music. However, It's not in the traditional sense of how we understand music. The vocals are filled with slangs that gangs used since the 70s and a lot of the instrumentations are replaced with "Street Sounds" instead of traditional instruments. Music is defined as any combination of sounds that is pleasing to the ear, so while one person may find it as "noise" another person can find it pleasing to the ear and so call "vibe" with it as how I think the kids would say it these days.

gonna redirect you to the post that has the nf song in it

and then try to tell me it matches this

mellonxcollie 01-8-2020 06:23 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by XelNya (Post 4707017)
gonna redirect you to the post that has the nf song in it

and then try to tell me it matches this

yeah also my post that has the beach house sample

is dream pop band beach house considered "street sounds" now lmao

Funnygurl555 01-8-2020 07:51 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Not devonin (Post 4707016)
You have a...fundamentally unsound understanding of what Rap is, in a way that is legitimately concerning to me.

Rap is "gang slang" and "street sounds"...I just...I can't. Do you actually know any black people at all? Completely serious question.

All i wanna do is
*gunshot*
*gunshot*
*gunshot*
*gunshot*
*click*
*cash register noise*
explain to you how absolutely ridiculous the thing you just said was.

what did i just read lmfao

oh you forgot the air horns, police sirens, and ad libs btw. just tryna help

-ffr's token black person

the sun fan 01-8-2020 08:15 AM

The question is whether or not this is the best thread of 2019 or the best thread of 2020

rayword45 01-8-2020 09:09 AM

who the figgity fuck is NF

flashflash account 01-8-2020 10:45 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by the sun fan (Post 4707028)
The question is whether or not this is the best thread of 2019 or the best thread of 2020

Please don't

Not devonin 01-8-2020 10:52 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Funnygurl555 (Post 4707027)
what did i just read lmfao

oh you forgot the air horns, police sirens, and ad libs btw. just tryna help

-ffr's token black person

Er...no I didn't forget anything from that direct quote from existing song lyrics.

Dinglesberry 01-8-2020 10:55 AM

Code:

Hoes Mad
Famous Dex
Produced by Dj Shon
Album The Pill Vol. 2

[Chorus/Hook]
Hoes mad x26

lol the one thing I think is true about rap is that its alot easier to find songs that are extremely awful, compared to other genres

Not devonin 01-8-2020 11:12 AM

If your definition of good music is "Good lyrics to sit around and listen to and think about" maybe, but not all music is FOR that.

MixMasterLar 01-8-2020 11:35 AM

See what gets me is, huge swats of Rap is specifically targeted to Black Culture but when someone not that demographic doesn't understand the appeal it's becausethey don't know black people apparently.

Maybe it's just that people don't get what is specifically not made for them instead?

Although, the fact that mainstream rap makes this claim while traditionally having problematic issues with womanizing, gang violence and toxic tribe mentality probably doesn't help their case? Like if I was black I would probably be pissed that the genre made for my culture casually drops lines about picking up hoes and killing fuckers I don't agree with as the norm.

This doesn't represent the entirety of the genre (because of course not, I'm not stupid to think any musical genre is completely one note) but damn if it feels like that's what a good majority of it is and it's off putting to anyone who doesn't want to internalize that kind of content. No amount of positive examples you can link me could outnumber me giving you sever problematic ones that probably got more airtime (although if you want to be petty and play that out, it's gonna have to be later in the week)

.Gazelle. 01-8-2020 11:57 AM

Yike

.Gazelle. 01-8-2020 12:08 PM

Like I'm not even going to bother picking it apart that post was so bad

Gravity Kitten 01-8-2020 01:51 PM

ilikexd 01-8-2020 02:28 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by MixMasterLar (Post 4707035)
See what gets me is, huge swats of Rap is specifically targeted to Black Culture but when someone not that demographic doesn't understand the appeal it's becausethey don't know black people apparently.

Maybe it's just that people don't get what is specifically not made for them instead?

Although, the fact that mainstream rap makes this claim while traditionally having problematic issues with womanizing, gang violence and toxic tribe mentality probably doesn't help their case? Like if I was black I would probably be pissed that the genre made for my culture casually drops lines about picking up hoes and killing fuckers I don't agree with as the norm.

This doesn't represent the entirety of the genre (because of course not, I'm not stupid to think any musical genre is completely one note) but damn if it feels like that's what a good majority of it is and it's off putting to anyone who doesn't want to internalize that kind of content. No amount of positive examples you can link me could outnumber me giving you sever problematic ones that probably got more airtime (although if you want to be petty and play that out, it's gonna have to be later in the week)

Not devonin 01-8-2020 02:52 PM

Quote:

See what gets me is, huge swats of Rap is specifically targeted to Black Culture but when someone not that demographic doesn't understand the appeal it's because they don't know black people apparently.
I didn't ask whether he knew any black people because he didn't get the appeal of rap, I asked whether he knew any black people because he said rap music was "70s gang slang and street sounds"

ilikexd 01-8-2020 03:06 PM

i want to hear a hip hop instrumental made out of street sounds

Not devonin 01-8-2020 03:24 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by ilikexd (Post 4707053)
i want to hear a hip hop instrumental made out of street sounds

Not hip-hop but apparently this is how all rap is made according to krispy, but imagine calling this "not music"